The Narrow Space is seeking expressions of interest from artists for its ‘Art Enriches Life?’ summer exhibition, in conjunction with The Clonmel Junction Arts Festival (CJAF). The theme of CJAF 2023 is The Place of Art in Public Life and Civil Society. This conjures up a myriad of questions and perhaps not so many answers!
Our inspiration for this exhibition comes from a play called ‘Art’ by Yasmina Reza
A short summary:
‘Yasmina Reza’s contemporary farce, Art, centres around one man’s acquisition of a two-hundred-thousand-franc white painting by an obscure artist named Antrios. When the well-off dermatologist Serge purchases the 4ft x 5ft canvas—painted entirely white—for such an exorbitant price, his two closest friends, Marc and Yvan, find themselves wrestling with the aesthetic, intellectual, and existential questions that the essentially blank canvas raises.
Reza casts a satirical eye on the world of art and culture, using her characters’ circular, spiral-like dialogue to explore the fine line between meaning and meaninglessness. The play ultimately suggests that while there’s much to poke fun at in the world of art, and while some works may seem devoid of meaning, the beauty of art is that it takes on significance via the experiences, associations, emotions, and interpretations of those who view and discuss it.’
So we ask you to imagine with us: Does Art Enrich Life? This is the question we are inviting artists living or working in Ireland to explore.
The deadline for submission is 30 April 2023.
Expression of Interest Guidelines:
– Please include a brief description of your work/intended work alongside a minimum of 3 high quality images. We are interested in both 2D and 3D artworks.
– The images submitted may include works in progress and must include at least 1 completed work intended for the exhibition.
– The work must be completed in 2022/23.
To apply please email your submission to email@example.com by 30 April 2022 including the following information:
– Brief description of work and images.
– The title, medium, dimensions (cm) and price of each work.
– Name, email, phone number, website link and social media handles if available.
– Delivery of works is required by 16 June 2023.
– The exhibition dates are early July 2023 to end of August 2023.
– Gallery Commission is 40%. Artwork price stated on submission must be the gallery selling price and include the commission.